Friday, June 29, 2012

Baby Quilts

I made these quilts for some very special little boys across the big pond ~ Russia specifically. Their daddy was one of our young interpreter's and a dear friend during the 6 years that we lived there in the 90's, and we continue to be close.

Since little Vanya and baby Stepan have received them, I wanted to present them here for your viewing pleasure.  Knowing that the daddy is fond of pirates, I cut this fabric for a rag quilt.  (Didn't have a 4" square template, so I used my bench marver ~ a glass torching tool):

And used soft blue flannels in between

and for the back.  Woops, notice anything?
   

There it is:   A "front" square snuck in on the back.
 
Ask me if I ripped it out.

 I kept with the pirate theme and made a fun pillow case for the toddler.

Since I couldn't decide which blue to use for the top, I made a wave with the two.  
My first time improvising a cut, and I was thrilled that it worked!

 I posted progress of this Frog quilt, but wanted to show it with the pillowcase sent.


 

And a pillowcase for the mommy, who likes koshka... I mean kitties.

The daddy is a professional illustrator of children's books, and a big fan of Monstas, so he's sleeping sweetly on this:

I used the Hot Dog method to make the cases:
The outer fabric is the bun/border

while the inside is the hotdog/pillowcase.
 I like the way these turn out, and have plans for more!

2 comments:

  1. Cis- what a great job you did- I just love these!!
    The pillow cases are too cute and love the wave!
    How creative !!!

    The quilts are so gorgeous- I just know those little boys are thrilled to pieces!!

    You are just a sweet sew in sew !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all so beautiful! The recipients are so lucky! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!