Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mystery Quilt

In early spring, we sorted out my late MIL's effects, but just last week I opened a cute little retro overnight case that belonged to her...



 and looky what was inside...


 A little old baby quilt!


I seem to remember seeing this little quilt a time or two long, long ago.  Notice the well-lovedness of it.

But WHO loved it???  And WHO made it?  There are no labels anywhere :-( and my MIL did not sew.  Mr. T doesn't remember it.
I sure would like to know its history.  

After a careful washing, I began to investigate what it might take to restore.

Something I'd never seen in quilting:  Under the worn/torn blocks was another block
 and look how fresh it appears!

~ no, I wasn't seeing the back side, but 2 blocks had been stacked and sewn together.  No wonder this lil quilt is so H-E-A-V-Y!
Another double block.

The binding is badly frayed, so I've decided to remove it and hopefully replace it with something appropriate to the era.

Maybe I'll find a vintage sheet or some old clothing to piece a binding.  
There are a few projects ahead of this one, but it's in line now!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... what a treasure! Wouldn't it be nice if old quilts could talk?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!